Locations › Fort Augustus
Fort Augustus is a settlement in the parish of Boleskine and Abertarff, at the south-west end of Loch Ness, Scottish Highlands. The village has a population of around 646 (2001). Its economy is heavily reliant on tourism.
Fort Augustus village takes its name from a fort built after the defeat of the 1715 Jacobite uprising. Today, almost nothing remains of the original structure. However some parts were incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey, which dates back to 1876. Today Fort Augustus Abbey is no longer an abbey but converted into luxury apartments.
The Caledonian Canal effectively cuts the village in two. To the north, the canal joins Loch Ness. An impressive flight of locks cleverly assist the water traffic from one vertical level to another.
It was designed by the famous civil engineer Thomas Telford and opened in 1822. The lock system is part of the 60-mile Caledonian Canal that links Inverness to Fort William. The canal was originally built to provide a shortcut for merchant skippers between the east and west coasts of Scotland. They welcomed the chance to reduce their journey times. It also meant they could avoid unwelcome approaches from French pirates on the open sea! Today, the canal is still in use – and Fort Augustus is an ideal spot to watch the yachts and cruisers drift by.
In 2002, the Great Glen Way was born. More recently the Great Glen Canoe Trail was opened. It’s a 73-mile route connecting Fort William to Inverness. Fort Augustus is always a popular resting point for weary walkers and cyclists. Relax and enjoy the view.